Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa came to play

On their way to a private beach and fancy resort in Mexico, my parents had a lay over in LA. After some convincing, my dad changed their tickets to a 3 day layover instead of 3 hour. For them, we were a short pit stop on the way to a grand vacation. For us, it was a weekend we looked forward to all month-especially because it was the weekend before Chad's exams.

I asked Caden if he'd rather have Santa or a grandpa come visit, he didn't even have to think about it, "Grandpa."


My dad kept saying before they came, "All we want to do is relax. Just sit by the pool, hang out, relax." Yeah, right. I knew better. My dad can only "relax" when doing projects, of which he found about 15 to do around my house. Knowing my dad like I do, my sister told me to find the smallest paint brush I could then let him touch up all the walls in the house.

The first morning, he walked around my house inspecting, then came to me with a list of requests: a caulk gun, a razor, a screw driver, etc. After a few trips to Lowe's, he was set. Between trips to the park, BYU basketball, Bass Pro Shop, and outlet shopping, my dad was working, most of the time with a 2 year old helper in tow. His projects ranged from re-caulking our kitchen cupboards to peeling the price stickers off the bottom of shelves we have hanging in our living room (things like that drive him crazy!)


All the while my mom and I chatted, ate the bags of cadbury eggs she brought me, watched movies and did the real relaxing.

When we dropped them off at the airport, it was a sad good-bye. I was trying to put Caden back into the car after he'd given good-bye hugs, but he squirmed free to run back to his grandma again...throwing his arms around her legs.

I'm already coming up with a new project to do list for next time my parents come in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment