Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Rolly Polly Juice



At the beginning of the summer, I did a lot of walking. I was trying to get baby ready to come so every day Caden and I would go for a few walks. Caden started looking for potato bugs, or Rolly Pollies. He would take an old container on our walks and would make me stop the stroller for him to catch them. We had to start putting a cap on the number of bugs he could catch, because I was tired of stopping so much.

When we got home from these walks, Caden would sit at his table and watch the bugs. It kind of grossed me out, but it also bought me 30-40 minutes every morning of quiet time, making it worth it.

The love for Rolly Pollies got serious. His grandma bought him a bug book from Target, and he studied and studied the page on potato bugs. If I tried to turn it to another page, he'd promptly turn it back claiming, "I was just on this page."

When we were in Utah, he continued his daily quest to catch the bugs. There is a special cupboard where my mom keeps containers and old cups for him to use to house them.

One night, my mom was taking some vitamin pills, washing them down with a glass of water. I heard her suddenly exclaim, "What is in my cup?!?" We turned on the lights to discover a dead rolly polly, floating in the bottom bit of water. Apparently, my mom had started storing her cup in the "special cupboard" so that she didn't have to dirty more than one dish a day. She just hadn't realized it was THE special cupboard and Caden must have figured anything in there was fair game.

What can I say--life can be adventurous with this little boy.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! I love it! That grosses me out so much, I think I might have thrown up after discovering a dead bug in my water cup! :)
    He's so cute! Little boys make life fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! Boys and bugs....

    ReplyDelete