Thursday, April 10, 2014

Legos

I should be the spokesperson for Legos.



When I bought Caden his first set at a garage sale, I didn't know what we were getting into.  One boy, two years, and a hundred sets later, I can see why legos make it on The Best Toy List every single year (I made that up).

I know legos are a huge mess, and it does drive me nuts to find them in every room, in every corner, on every surface in my house.  BUT Caden and Bryce will spend hours, literally hours!, building ships and bases and securities and robots.  Do you know how precious those quiet hours are when you are taking care of a newborn?!

At least 10 times a day I have to "close my eyes" while they place something they have built in front of me.  I then give my excited, enthusiastic response and they happily go back to building.

Caden knows his legos like he knows his friends.  The other day he left a small little three piece "security" he'd made at my sister's house.  He fretted and worried about it until finally she sent him a picture text that it was all right.  She said, "How can a boy who has thousands of legos worry about these 3 pieces?"




It's amazing to me how Bryce is learning symmetry from playing legos.  Caden used to fix his "ships" if they weren't symmetrical, and so now he's learned to do it on his own.  I love that legos foster creativity and imagination, like this morning, when Bryce made an entire family of  "Hompy Monsters."

And so even though when I find legos in my shoes or on the van floor, I swear that I am not, definitely not! buying any more legos, you can bet they will be showing up at birthdays and Christmas' for awhile.






3 comments:

  1. I dreamed last night that Caden made something for me with his legos. It was a great dream! My brother "built" with his legos well into his college years (can you still call it playing then?). Now he's a civil engineer. I guess some boys never grow out of it. Might as well embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more!! Dallin didn't start playing with them until this year and I am AMAZED at the change in him when he plays- he never used to do anything creative or build anything on his own. Such a great toy!!

    ReplyDelete